View Single Post
Old 10-12-2020, 12:56 PM

Default Re: PT ran out of CPU power. AAE-9173

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursolus View Post
Hello, and yes I'm another victim of this heinous error. I've done all the hoops, update plug-ins, drivers, i-Lock manager and the nines. I even uninstalled / re installed PT and there it was...waiting for me like an unknown STD. The only thing I haven't tried is the trouble shooting MAC guide recommended by Avid Knowledge base. It's the 3 steps of last hope... and I was wondering if anyone out there in the community made this attempt and what was the outcome. If you don't know what that is, well here they are:
* Disable System Integrity Protection (SIP)
* Disable tailspind and spindump
* Re-enable System Integrity Protection
(These steps are for Mac users only!)

And if you have any pointers that I've missed, please feel free to let me know where I've gone astray. Thanks.
Sure you should try disabling tailspin and spindump. Avid would not write KB articles if they were a total waste of time, and the cost of trying is low. https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...-Errors-on-Mac

But it looks like some of what you have been doing is probably not a good use of your time. For a 9173, the last thing I would be doing is reinstalling the iLok manager, or even reinstalling Pro Tools. "updating" plugins is not going to fix a problem if the latest version you are installing is also broken/incompatible. You need to test by removing them.

The sequence/focus I would have used is... (and I expect you did try many of these)...

1. Trashing prefs. Always start by trashing prefs.
2. Testing if the problem is session related. Test starting with new empty sessions not from a template/not a clone of another session.
3. Testing it's not audio interface/driver related. Test playing back with Built-In output.
4. Test from a newly created admin user account (mosty checks for missed corrupt prefs and other problems).
5. Testing if third party plugins are causing problems (start by moving all plugins out of the plugin folder, if that is stable, put them back in batches until problems happen. Yes even unused plugins installed in Pro Tools cause 9173 errors. And it's frequently plugins... but other tests above make sense first as they can be very quick/easy to do.

Normally it's only after doing that that I'd suspect disabling tailspin or spindump would be worth trying... I've never actually needed either on a Mac. But if you are stuck try away.

Reinstalling Pro Tools rarely helps, but maybe try that next. But of things were just still a mess and you can't make progress. I would do a *test* install of macOS on a spare APFS container/partition and try starting over from scratch with a bare minimal Pro Tools install, *testing as you go*. That often seems to save time vs troubleshooting if things are really messed up. If it works then switch over to working off that boot volume.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-12-2020 at 01:26 PM.