View Single Post
Old 05-28-2020, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on Logic Pro live loops...

I switched to Logic five years ago having used PT as main DAW for 14 years. I use both now. Logic as my main DAW for composing and PT as a glorified tape deck (to deliver stems and sessions to sound teams in post). Logic is amazing and the new 10.5 update is incredible. So many new features and improvements to what was already miles ahead of PT in the MIDI department.

PT still has its uses for composers, but it is very overpriced as a subscription for, let's face it, not much in terms of new features over the last few years. Can't even think when the last time I got excited by a PT update. Folder tracks? Is that it? Logic has had those for years. At this point I only pay for a PT subscription to stay compatible with Mac OS. The annual subscription costs pretty much the same as buying Logic outright (and with free updates). I can afford it, but If I were a young composer starting out it would be a no brainer: Logic all the way. Or Ableton. They are apps that focus on getting musical ideas down, and quickly.

Does anyone feel they’re really getting value for money with a PT perpetual licence and an annual subscription? Most of us just put up with it because we’re dug in, but the new generation are not. Of course Avid can't compete with Apple, but cost aside, I don't feel any passion or excitement from the development of PT in recent years. I'm not going to speculate as to why, but as someone who wants PT to stick around and improve, I hope that one day Avid can find their way back to making PT both good value for money and something to get excited about.