View Single Post
Old 01-04-2019, 10:51 AM

Default Re: HDX PT 2018 CPU Spikes AAE -9171 Halts Playback

i had removed hyper-threading and it helped for a day or so, but the next day things were so unstable that i was unable to work at all. I decided to start from scratch, which i had done once before - beginning with a new HD and reinstalling EVERYTHING. One rather huge mistake i had made before things started to go downhill was installing High Sierra - it was the closest OS i could get to El Capitan, which I had been using, but it was not compatible with the latest version of PT i'm able to use - 2018.1.0. I was able to get a Sierra installer from our local pro audio shop and was able to load from a bootable USB drive. i think Apple support might have helped me accomplish that if you're lucky enough to talk to a knowledgeable support person. There's a compatibility chart available from Avid outlining which OS's are tested with the various PT versions.

The great thing about going through all of this was it forced me to go back to the sources and get the latest versions of all of my plugins. Since PT HD is 64-bit, i'm wondering if you're having issues with 32-bit plugins.

in my case, the CPU was spiking up to 100%. I had been using the highest buffer size with 'ignore errors' checked and was still having crashes. Now that i've re-installed everything i noticed yesterday that i was running on 256k buffer without problem, although i had previously rendered some of the tracks with CPU intensive instruments - ie Omni2 and Kontakt.

Mac Pro 6-core, 3.33
OS 10.11.4
Apogee 800
Aurora 16