Thread: Omni Fans?
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 11:36 AM

Default Re: Omni Fans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDP View Post
I think I beat you to it. I actually picked up a variety of brands that state 11-14 dB. So going to test them out this weekend. Wish I had a SPL meter that would go that low to get a true reading, since even if they are let's say 11 dB, a few running at the same time would be nice to see it's level compared to the OMNI or the Mac, but all SPL's go as low as 30 dB. The ones that go lower are in the thousands $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Will be interested in your findings and actual brand/s you like . Kev

Sorry for the delay, was trying different fans till I found the one that works best. I am using SilenX HTPC. It has a controller that you can hook up to 5 fans and the controller has knob for variable speeds. and had put the fan in different positions to see what worked best. I have the Producers Desk from Center and my Mac is on the left side. I have custom fiberglass installed on the front, left, and right sides that is air tight and the rear is half way covered with auralex foam.
So it is a pretty quite, but when it' get's hot (not a good thing for various reasons) the Mac Pro's fans all kick in and it can be heard. So the SilenX came with to fans that I connected both to the front of the mac each one right just in front of the fan that is in the mac, but they are over the grills and pushing air into that mac. With the fornt lid closed it is quite and way less audible than the HD OMNI. When it gets too hot I just turn up the fans speed. I am thinking of getting maybe 2 more fans and putting them on the rear to pull out air.
If there's a way to upload pics here, let me know and I can take pics and share. You'll get a better sense of it.

Here is a link of the unit I am speaking of, Fry's has it for $60:

\http://www.pcflip.com/reviews/coolin...ling-system/2/