View Single Post
Old 01-22-2020, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Ultimate is the only way to have 32+ IN/OUTs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basstian View Post
Just out of curiosity. What are you guys doing that you need more than 32 inputs?

Beside recording orchestral work on location. I have never in the last 20 years had the need for more than 32 channels.

I have a Mixing Suite, Hybrid setup so absolutely no need for latency or fancy cloud stuff, DSP or what the heck they want to sell me.

I keep adding outboard from time to time though. Up until now i maxed out 32 outputs through hardware inserts (compressors) or sends to bricasti reverbs and spring reverbs or parallels to culture vulture and other distortion / enhancing boxes, summing back 32 channels through fat bustard - master EQ & compression - HEDD AD into PT...

Just added TC6000 i got for 'cheap' so i/o got a little crowded.

I'm doing a Liveshow / Live recording this weekend. Band and choir which generates approx. 42 inputs. Guess what? Laptop, reaper, 1xRJ45 cable from the FOH-Desk and DANTE Virtual soundcard and i'm rolling. Plus it's so freakin' stable. Never had a glitch.

We ran a redundant system in the amp room of a venue, reaper recording 64 tracks to the internal harddrive. After the two shows we forgot to turn it off. So we shut down the master AC after the show. Eventually the macbook, still recording, went to sleep before dying completely. Next day we prepared for the next show again. During soundcheck we noticed that reaper had woken up the mac and was already recording again!! Try that with PT.

It's a real shame how avid treats their customers. 2.5k for ultimate plus a digilink hardware-dongle, the silliest invention since iLOK or tens of thousands for 32+ i/o avid-interfaces.

i can do 64 i/o for less than the price of a Digi-link licence with reaper and a DANTE virtual soundcard...

More and more long time users like me are looking for alternatives. Not a good sign if getting a new breed of customers isn't exactly your sterngth either...