View Single Post
Old 04-25-2018, 12:16 PM

Default Re: URS SATURATION Plugins

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.a.billington View Post
That Console Strip Pro I coveted for a long time. It was one of the first, as was many of their analogue emulations.

The only other dev I know that does the Motown EQ is Nomad, and they’ve gone through a bit of trouble over the last few years too with the guy getting cancer. Sad story really. Anyway, Pluginvery seem to be running the show there now and they seem to be slowly bringing it back from the brink of death.

Sonalksis is owned or run by someone else now it seems. They have been dormant for such a long time. I stopped using my CQ1, DQ1 and gate, because of fear of being left in the lurch. Ended up replacing them with Waves C6, F6 and G8 from Unfiltered Audio. I don’t what kind of future Sonalksis has, but I won’t be reinvesting in them.

With any luck, URS will sort their stuff out and become relevant again. Even if they end up being bought out by someone else.
I spoke to the owner of Sonalksis.. nice person.. not too long ago this was...

There won't be AAX but basically he said they are not dead and if issues arise where their plugins don't work, they will fix them.

Right now, they all work, they are all cheap compared to what they were, and they are all 64 bit.

I don't think there's any danger for the auth system to go offline or anything like that.. they are branching into other avenues.. the company that owns them is doing fine from what I know.

I still love their gate, and use that in Cubase as my gate.. in PT I use ProG.. proG is amazing but there's something about the sonalksis one that i can't put my finger on.

Yes, Bernie Torelli of Nomad passed away from cancer (RIP).. I was one of those who really quite liked a lot of Nomad's pluggies, I know a lot of people gave them a hard time.. I loved the delay in liquid and the blue tubes analog phaser and the chorus.. Unfortunately I was on Logic back then and they used to crash a lot.. I have tested them all in PT and seem stable..

Their newer plugins are great, in fact I even prefer magnetic II to alot of other saturation plugins/tape sims.

Motown wasn't the reason I miss URS but now that you mention them I will demo the Nomad ones again properly.. thanks!

Believe me, i have tried every saturation plugin on the market.. all of them get to obvious distortion before they control peaks..
URS saturation had an uncanny ability to massively increase presence and volume whilst lowering peak levels.. and the point it did that at, always kept the source intact, just sounding beefier.

Closest is radiator and decapitator, also the 610 series from UA are very good.. Tape plugins, overloud tapedeck is ok at doing that sort of thing and adding vibe whilst not increasing peak levels... slate and all those fail miserably at that and just get into horrible farting by the time the levels are contained, same with ozone 8 tape, etc..