View Single Post
Old 06-19-2018, 02:28 PM

Default Re: The Mystery of the Purple Dongle

Well, I found out what the dongle was for. It is the elicenser for reFX Nexus 2. I totally forgot that I got that when I bought Nexus a few years back. The rub is, reFX doesn't have any way for me to re-download my authorization code onto a new dongle...you only get to download it once from them. I can, of course, BUY a new license...which is essentially repurchasing the product. Yeah, they'll give me a whopping 10% discount. So for another $264 I can have Nexus 2 back. Not to mention the additional money I've spent on several of their expansions. I probably have close to $800 invested with them.

I simply can't believe that in 2018 we can't have a better system to protect software from piracy than these damn dongles! iLok, elicenser, whatever the hell it is Reason uses...the system sucks! What really frosts me is the entire system exists because of dishonest people out there. I'm not one of them (and I try hard not to be one either), but I have the pleasure of paying for their sins! Nice!