View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 09:23 PM

Thumbs down Playback and/or Record Continues 10-15 Seconds After I Press Stop With Spacebar. Lag.

Hey all,

Hoping someone can help with this issue. Pro Tools 10 becomes painfully slow when I'm working with it. Basically, when I hit spacebar to stop playback or recording, Pro Tools 10 will continue to play for up to 15 seconds after I've pressed stop. This comes and goes, and typically when I open a session, I won't have a problem until the session has been open for a few minutes.

Interesting symptoms:

- If I start playback at the beginning of the session and then stop it at the 10 second mark of my project, the playback will only continue for an additional 1 second or so.

- If I start playback at the beginning of the session and let it play to the 3 minute mark of my session and stop it, then playback will continue for an additional 10 seconds or so. The more of my project I let play before I press stop, the longer the "runaway playback" is when I do finally press stop.

- This same "lag" also applies to fader adjustments, clicking on or off the mute button on a track, and even simple scrolling. Everything lags exponentially worse the longer the file is allowed to play.

I've been a Pro Tools user through versions 8 and 9 and never had this problem, so I'm stumped. Most of my sessions are virtual instruments. This is putting a huge road block in my work right now. Tried the CPU at 90%, 85%, 80%, and all had the same issues. Happens regardless of buffer size. Post-roll is not enabled. I usually have 10-20 instrument tracks in a session, but the CPU usage is usually below 40%. It's happened with the CPU usage as low as 25% before. This lag shows up pretty much every time I use Pro Tools. After just a few minutes the system will bog down.

MacBook Pro 2010 2.4GHz Core i5
8GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM
Lion 10.7.2
80 GB SSD (running OSX and PT), 500 GB HDD (recording drive)

Pro Tools 10.0.1
Apogee Duet 2

Is this a problem with Lion? Is this an issue with PT10? I'm recording a live gig next weekend and need my system to be responsive. I can't imagine how long the lag would be if I recorded for 45 minutes straight...

Thanks in advance!