View Single Post
Old 11-17-2005, 08:10 PM

Default Re: Best Desktops for PTLE

Quote:
Quote:
I've been watching this thread intently! I'm still not clear on which is performing better, AMD64 x2 or Pentium D. From what I'm seeing, the AMDs are better on power usage, but that's not as much of a concern on a desktop (vs. a laptop). The DaveC results are similar, no? I'm currently running 6.9 on a Gateway 7422gx, and it runs great, but I plan on going to 7 with this desktop upgrade.

Can anyone comment on how they think an AMD 3800+ x2 would compare to a Pentium D 820? Not wanting to build my own system, I've found each of those systems with otherwise similar specs, with the AMD system coming in at $849, and the Pentium at $799. Which would you recommend?
You will do fine either way.

Allen
I've been looking at the AMD 3800+ x2 mentioned above (HP A1250N). I have some credit at Circuit City and figured I might as well use it on a new PC for my little basement studio. Could anyone give me some advice as to whether this will be a good computer to record with? Is there anything I will need to add to make it PTLE compatible? Thanks for any help!

Here's the link:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/HP-Pa...oductDetail.do