View Single Post
Old 02-08-2015, 01:30 PM

Default Re: Problems upgrading Komplete 8 to Komplete 10 Ultimate in Pro Tools 10.3.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddysdead View Post
Thank you for taking your time to try and help me. I really appreciate it.

I tried your suggestion and uninstalled everything again using the uninstall fuction i Windows 8 and then manually deleted any file or folder related to native instruments. Then I used CCleaner to make sure all registry entries regarding anything related to native instruments were gone. I'm not sure how much more I can wipe it.

The NI plugins I'm using are "Scarbee mm bass", "upright piano" and "battery 3" so all Kontakt-related. Size of session is quite small:
1 track scarbee bass (Muted)
1 track Battery 3
1 track upright piano
3 mono audio tracks, 1 with Guitar Pro 5 (used as a tuner), 1 with Bass guitar (with avids Channel strip plug) and 1 with electric guitar (also Channel strip)

Then I have a bunch of empty tracks, say 2 mono audio and 10 instrument tracks (because I have a habit of creating several at once when I'm unsure how many will be used).

My audio interface is a M-Audio FireWire 410. The drivers for the interface I know have been known to be a bit flakey in Windows 8 but before this I have not had a problem with it but maybe the newer versions of Kontakt for example could be a mismatch?

Then as Midi input I use a M-Audio Axiom 49 and a Clavia Nord Stage 88 Revision B, but never both at the same time and both connected using a midi cable.

As to optimization, I install the applications of Komplete 10 to it's prefered location on C:. The disk is not big enough to house all the samples/libraries so these are installed to D:. This is not the only things on D:, there are other things installed here to but nothing related to Pro Tools or Native Instruments. Also the song that I work on are on the D:, the same as the samples but not the same as Pro Tools och the Native Instruments applications.
The Kontakt version won't have anything to do with any interaction with your FW410 because you're running Kontakt inside PT and that's what matters. So you have both Komplete 8 and Komplete 10 installed? I mention that because you're using Battery 3 which is old; Komplete 9 and Komplete 10 have Battery 4 and you can open Battery 3 kits inside Battery 4.

So you're using the traditional 5 pin MIDI cable and not USB - that's good. I asked because as I mentioned Windows by default turns off the USB ports as a power saving measure; my old Sonar/Windows system would lock up if something in the MIDI stream would hiccup. My MIDI interface was a MOTU MIDI Timepiece AVUSB and I had to make sure the USB port stayed alive all the time. Windows will lock up if something hangs up a USB port and only rebooting will bring it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddysdead View Post
An addition:

I borrowed an MBox mini from a friend and that does seem to work. I've only tried it for a little bit but none of the problems of the computer hanging in the various stages are present. The thing that makes me unsure is that I can't open my old songs with it since it doesn't support 44 kHz playback...
Good you were able to try another audio interface so that means at least your basic install of the software is working. Something to try with your old interface is a new cable - those things can go bad without warning (or things just worked loose - you never know).

QAPLA!