View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 11:19 AM

Default Re: Eleven Rack: Headphone Output Impedance & Amp Output Tech Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR290378 View Post
Hi Guys,

I am trying to get some information on the impedance of the Eleven Rack Headphone Output. Since I had very unsatisfying results using my Sennheiser HD 650s with the latest generation MBox Headphone Outputs (due to their low impedance) I would like to know the tech specs of the Eleven Rack before buying it...

Please excuse my second - very naive - question and remark: I understand the "Amp-Output" of the Eleven Rack provides an unamplified signal, i.e. I cannot simply connect the Eleven Rack with a cabinet. To me connecting the Eleven Rack with a Combo or Preamp does not seem to make much sense as long as you cannot entirely bypass the Combo's/or Preamp's specific colour. If my assumption is correct then there is clearly an open niche in the market! There should be neutral amplifying hardware solution that works as a link between the Eleven Rack and a hardware cabinet. The advice generally given does not convince me (listen to the Eleven Rack via Monitor Speakers or a PA). In my view guitar players want to use the flexibility provided by emulated solutions but also stay as close as possible to their traditional set up. And, that should motivate e.g. AVID to not only provide an "unamplified amp simulation" but also to offer the hardware that translates these amp simulations into a traditional guitar set up, e.g. by hooking up the eleven rack up with a real hardware cabinet. In other words there seems to be a need for something I would call "The Eleven Rack Amplifier Head" to complete the existing product. Please correct me if I am wrong!

Any clarification would be very much appreciated.
Cheers,
Matt
It looks like a lot of the Sennhieser cans have high impedance (300 to 600 ohm) drivers. You're going to need a dedicated headphone amp to drive those. Probably not the answer you want to hear, but there it is...

Consumer and prosumer audio gear almost always assumes a much lower headphone impedance. I had a nice set of AKG K240 DF cans that I eventually ditched because none of the gear I use would drive it to a reasonable listening level.

As far as the power amp and cab goes, you really don't need anything specific to the Eleven Rack. The best (as in: most in keeping with the designer's intentions) results are obtained with a FRFR chain, whether that's done via direct recording or by playing through a *neutral* amp and speakers.

*This* guitarist prefers to carry the Eleven Rack by itself and plug into the house PA wherever I play. My days of carrying my own amps and cabs are over - and good riddance to those days!

If you must have a more traditional-looking rig, then by all means put one together. There's a world of options out there. Pick your favorite cab, find a suitable power amp, set up your Eleven Rack patches for the sounds you want, and you're done! No need to wait for an Eleven Rack-specific amp and cab... (In fact, I'd advise against waiting; I suspect it will be a *very* long wait.)