View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 09:40 AM

Default Re: How old is your DAW computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjslakeridge View Post
I don't think it makes sense to preemptively replace parts on an 8 year old build. There is no way to predict which part might fail. A single capacitor on the motherboard might fail. The only parts I would even consider replacing are those you could use on your next build, like the PSU or HDD/SSDs.

Your current build could last for many more years, or die tomorrow. The best bet would be to have a spare PT rig that you could put into temporary service while you put together your next build. (It looks like you do have a spare with the desktop and laptop available).
I agree^^^ The best thing you can do(and what everybody SHOULD do) is be diligent about backing up sessions(to more than 1 place) and keep a large external drive that holds nothing but drive images of your system drive. My system drive strategy includes 2 externals for drive images(I've been on this a long time) and I rotate 3 500GB SSD drives for system. 1 is the current newest version of PT, 1 is the previous build and the 3rd is a clone of either of the others. The only hassle I deal with is authorizations of stuff that don't do iLok or the Waves USB stick. Every time I hear someone whine about iLok, I chuckle because I curse every time I deal with non-iLok stuff. I just quit using Cytomic's The Glue because of their authorization crap(they give 3 per year, but I have burned all 3 in a day due to authorizations dropping for a simple drive swap)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave