View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 02:25 AM

Default Re: Altiverb 7 and AAX-DSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rus5 View Post
And Massey, and UA, and Flux::, and URS, and East West, and Sonnox, and Antares, and Melodyne, and Sound Toys, and Eventide, and Lexicon, and on and on and on are ALSO just under a year and a half out making slow if any progress. Only a couple of those companies have even gotten their FIRST AAX-DSP port out. iZotope is saying they probably won't EVER take it on (which is especially bad news). Avid themselves sold their own entire "Air" line rather than port them to AAX, let alone AAX-DSP. And of course, the most important of them all, Waves, threw in the towel completely and isn't going to port any of their plugs to AAX-DSP at all. Ever. They specifically said they gave up because porting to AAX-DSP was too difficult. There is absolutely no case whatsoever that porting to AAX-DSP is not difficult.
Avid sold the Air team, true. But they do have a deal with iNMusic that will have them continue working on the Air plugin line that is with Pro tools, which does mean AAX versions of the plugs, only remains to be seen if they will be DSP but I'd suspect they will since it's probably part of the deal, although I have no firm information about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
Thanks doing this rus. Altiverb is an essential plug-in for me so it's good to hear it will make it to HDX albeit with a long wait! It's less encouraging to hear yet another company is having difficulties optimising for HDX

With TDM, the longer the reverb time the more chips Altiverb takes up. I was told this was because of the very limited amount of memory available per 56k chip. There is 4x the amount of memory per chip with HDX so you would have thought this would be less of an issue.
If this is the issue, then it's not an issue of Ram amount anymore, its the fact that their plugin is coded to use more dsp chips to compensate for the lack of ram. They should rewrite their plugin the other way around, Use less dsp chips but more direct ram.

Wave-T.com