View Single Post
Old 03-17-2013, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Altiverb 7 and AAX-DSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM@METRO View Post
Convolution reverbs are not the same as typical plug-ins. They require a ton of memory and perhaps chip sharing. The work done on making this function on TDM is not easily translated to HDX. With HDX you first solidify Native and then go to work on DSP. I do not recall AVID ever saying that convolution reverbs (DSP) were anticipated as easy or commonplace in HDX systems, especially not this close to introduction.
That's not what he said. Again, what he said was: "This is because the current AAX DSP infrastructure is not ready for a plug-in with the capabilities like Altiverb TDM." - please note the word "infrastructure". He's pointing directly to the HDX "infrastructure" compared to the HD "infrastructure", not how hard it is to write in general relative to other types of plugins. I assure you, if you had asked Avid at the PT10/HDX rollout if the HDX "infrastructure" would or would not support convolution reverb plugins (or any plugins) as well as HD, they would have told you it absolutely would - far better than HD. Go watch the roll-out videos on YouTube, they're still there (last I checked anyway), and see if you don't agree.