View Single Post
Old 09-11-2020, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Are my internal NVMe drives causing PT to crash when recording multiple tracks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by loud neighbor View Post
4th crash in a row while tracking. This is a joke.

No one else has had this issue?? PT freezes while recording / Mac OS hangs / hard reboot required.

At a total loss here. I don't know if this is an Avid or Apple (or OWC?) software or hardware issue... don't even know where to post about this. Where am I? Who am I???

And the worst part is that my smooth jazz cover of WAP will no longer bring world peace. We're ALL FFFFFF'd.
We’re definitely all ******. That aside...

PT is crashing reading and writing to disk right? I’m on the same Mac and not having this issue. Difference here is I don’t have the OWC cards. I have the Sonnet RAID NVMe card for Kontakt, a second NVMEe adapter card/M2 for other libraries like Sine, SD3 etc. and a 3rd NVMEe adapter card/M2 for Pro Tools audio.

Differences in my system FWIW...
1. Pro Tools is not reading and writing to a RAID array - just the one M2 Drive.
2. I’m not using SoftRAID. I used Mac OS Disk Utility to creat the RAID0 array on the Sonnet card.

Assuming you’ve done all the Mac OS optimisations for PT, your stuff is up to date etc. I would pull The OWC cards and try recording to the Mac’s system drive - it’s easily fast enough.

Following on from that - maybe pull out the sample OWC card and reformat the remaining OWC with Mac OS disk utility as individual disks - not as a RAID. If you have the 4TB OWC it will have four 1TB M2 drives.

Maybe try running Blackmagic Speed Test for a few hours and see if it does t trip up. Unfortunately- there doesn’t seem to be a simple test utility for Mac disks, at least not that I’ve found.

NVMe M2 RAIDs are fantastic - but - if one disk in the RAID is intermittently off - then they’re all screwed.