View Single Post
Old 02-21-2019, 08:30 AM

Default Re: HDX Hardware and Ableton Live

I have been e-mailing with Avid about this the past couple of days. They are checking with their engineers on it. I have seen other users report this issue of dropping the Avid HDX/HDN hardware with Logic as well as Ableton...maybe other DAW's have this issue using coreaudio, too. Yesterday I set up my Focusrite Clarrett into my Avid Omni for monitoring via SPDIF with clocking over the coax connects and it is solid. I'd REALLY rather use my Avid Omni and HD IO, though, because they are wired into my patchbay already and sound very nice.

I sent this to Avid today...

"An additional bit of info...I wonder if it is a memory management thing to the HD Driver or something? Sometimes if I open Ableton and am in a session with no audio or MIDI (a default blank Ableton session with HDX selected as the audio engine), then open a current work session that has audio/midi data and plug-ins on tracks, Ableton will open the new session and get disconnected from the hardware upon opening the session without even hitting playback or anything. I then have to reset the audio engine to Avid HDX. Then, when using the session, sometimes selecting audio in a region or midi notes with the cursor will disconnect Ableton from the HDX hardware and I have to reselect it. Sometimes Ableton will just freeze and I get the Mac spinning wheel. This has been true with all versions of Ableton 9-10 and all versions of the HD driver AND different Mac OS versions in the past few years. If Ableton's CPU gets past 45-50%, this is more likely to happen I think. This does not happen with my other thunderbolt or firewire audio interfaces even when CPU use is much higher. They are never disconnected by the Ableton audio engine. This makes me wonder if part of the issue is with memory to the HD driver. You used to be able to change the audio buffer size from Ableton as well and the HD driver would follow. That is no longer the case much or all of the time (I have not tested every instance but see it happening)."
http://www.mckaygarner.com