View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 03:28 PM

Default Re: So does LE in fact have delay compensation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G. Killa View Post
no you are not missing anything... I've been saying this FOR YEARS and everyone tries to argue with me. PTLE, along with all other DAWs, have a certain amount of delay compensation built in. The amount of which is based on the buffer size you set.

If a plugin's latency exceeds the buffer size, then it will be late.

But to answer your question plainly, yes PTLE has ALWAYS done some amount of delay compensation going back as early as 5.x. This is why Bussing to an aux track will be perfectly in phase with the original. If there were no compensation whatsoever then the aux track would be 5 samples behind (bussing in protools requires 5 samples of processing latency...or maybe it's 6 samples, I forget). It's just that ANYTHING with look ahead capabilties or anything that requires large amount of DSP (like Soundtoys or Melodyne, or Waves L3, or Digi's Dyn/Exp3 [has look ahead], etc) can't be compensated for because their latency exceeds the limits of the 1024 buffer.
I could not see how much exactly was the delay caused by t-racks but it was most certainly way way more than what was the H/W buffer, as H/W buffer was set at 128 samples and the delay between hitting a string and hearing it was more like 0.5 seconds or so. Still, midi and pre recorded guitar thru the bus with t-racks ON was OK. I could see that cursor and waveform were running ahead of audio so visual feedback was off, but audio was fine. I'm guessing digi has implemented delay compensation in LE without shouting it out loud to see if we really can tell the difference or not