View Single Post
Old 06-06-2018, 07:44 AM

Default Re: macOS 10.14 Mojave and “cheese grater” Mac Pros

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
This is going to seem like a stupid question but I need some clarification. When you say 'no picture' what exactly does that mean? When I start my 2012 cheesegrater with Samsung monitor the screen sometimes stays blank (black) after the pong sound and about 15 seconds later I get a usable desktop. Other times after getting the pong sound I'll get a grey screen and a loading progress bar and again 15 seconds after the pong I have a usable desktop. HD5770 video card. I'm okay with not seeing anything until I have a usable desktop.

I should add that until the monitor sees the video card it cycles through the various connections so the various options flash up on the screen in the upper left corner.
He is referring to the "boot screen" which is the grey screen with the Apple logo and has a progress bar. You will not see that if you do not have a EFI capable GPU. It will be black until the OS loads

So I have a question due to your comment. Are you able to access the boot volume screen by holding down the option key during start up?

What you described as sometimes having a black screen until the OS has loaded, and sometimes seeing the grey screen and loading progress bar, sounds conflicting. The grey screen is the boot screen so how come it shows up randomly? My understanding is it's either always or never. The 5770 is the stock card for your cMP so it should always be showing a boot screen. Unless you have a 4K monitor hooked up, meaning you have a resolution or using a protocol that isn't compatible, such as DP 1.4 but it can only use up to DP 1.1 or 1.2. Then I could understand why it's not displaying the boot screen at times (due to user settings).

OSX 10.13.6 - Pro Tools 2018.12 - Presonus Studio 192 / Digi 003 Rack+
Focusrite Clarett OctoPre - AKG HPE6 - DBX160A - WA76