View Single Post
Old 11-12-2011, 09:36 AM

Default Re: Audio tracks stop playing back/outputs disable

A lot of things seem to be affecting Pro Tools 10 outputs, and making them stop.

Today, I'm working on a mix. Have everything pretty well set for basic levels. There's one stereo guitar overdub that has no output assigned, because I was saving it to comp, and didn't want it getting into any rough mixes.

So I assign it to output A 1-2. It plays back as expected. But down about 15 tracks ALL the keyboard outputs are not working. I see meter activity, but they are not playing back. They are assigned to B 1-2.

I have an OMNI I/O HD interface and a legacy 192 interface with an extra D/A card in it for 16 outputs.

The Omni handles analog outputs 1-8 (A 1-2, A 3-4, A 5-6, A 7-8)

The 192 handles analog outputs 9 - 14 (B 1-2, B 3-4....B 13-14)

I have the 192's last output pair (15-16) assigned to the Enclosure AES output, which goes to my Benchmark DAC.

Maybe this is an Expanded System problem? Magma Chassis connected to multiple hardware I/O's? It's never outputs from one interface or the other that are susceptible, ALL of them are. It is completely random whether it is from outputs A 1-8 or outputs B 9-14. Sometims a combination of the two, like some drum outputs (A 1-2), some Vocals (A 7-8) etc.

But it is a problem, and happens everyday. Changing outputs, importing audio to new tracks, instantiating plugins on the fly, Instantiating plugins while idle. ALL these things can cause random outputs to stop, requiring a "toggle" or a Pro Tools restart.
Pro Tools 10/11 HD, Mac OS 10.8.2, Mac Pro 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (June 2012) 64 Gig RAM, Avid HDX Card, OMNI HD I/O, 192 HD 16x16, Artist MC Control, Firewire audio drives, Sony Bravia 42" HDMI monitor, Acer 24" monitor