View Single Post
Old 05-10-2017, 03:17 AM

Default Re: Help alligning a session to bars/beats grid

Sorry guys that my description wasn't very clear. But thanks for chiming in. Let me try to clarify...

I have a session that was done a few years ago that started out with tracks recorded to a cheap drum machine (as a click track). I want to replace those drum tracks but I'm finding out that the clock on the drum machine wasn't very accurate. When I import midi drum tracks (i.e. from Superior Drummer) they drift apart as the song progresses. So I need to lock the session to the Bars/Beats grid in order for them to sync with the rest of the tracks throughout the song. For instance I need bar 1 of the song to line up with bar 1 in the bars/beats ruler and for bar 2 of the song to line up with bar 2 on the Bars/Beats ruler, and so on. What I described in my previous session is kind of the "text-book" way to do this. But it's just not working for me. For some reason it wants to change the tempo of my song from 83 (manually set by me for that session) to around 129.

So my process would be to (using the transient of the kick as a guide) tab to the first measure of the song and, using Identify Beat, I would set that as the 1st measure of the song. Then I would tab to the start of the 2nd measure and, using Identify Beat, I would set that as the 2nd measure of the song. I do this for the duration of the song and now the song is locked to the bars/beats grid. Once I get to this stage I should have no problems importing midi drum tracks.

I used to do this a lot several years ago, and to be honest the way I'm trying to do it now doesn't really seem like the way I used to do it. But what I'm trying now is how all the YouTube videos tell you how to do it. Maybe I just have a few more grey hair's now than I did back then and my memory just ain't what it used to be. Any help would really be appreciated!

I hope this explanation helps you understand better what I'm trying to do.

Thanks again!
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900KF CPU @ 3.60GHz
Memory: 32GB
Internal Hard Drives:
500GB= Programs
1TBGB= Audio
1tbGB= Samples/Back Up
External Hard Drives: Verbatim 1TB USB Drive
RME Fireface UFX Interface/Preamps
Pro Tools 2023
Focal CMS 65 Monitors
Avantones