View Single Post
Old 12-22-2018, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Building for an 10HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDobby View Post
Darryl,

Thanks for your response. As far as the Omni, I was told that I needed it for monitor control for the HD system and I couldn't use my current apogee duet or UA Apollo Quad firewire. And Yes my Apollo Quad has ADAT/SMUX in and out.

A friend has a 96 I/O he doesn't use and I saw 192 that is Configured for 8ch
analog in/out, 16ch digital in/out. To be honest Im embarrassed to say that i'm learning what all of that means. All I know that when ever i have mixed and recorded at a bigger studio with HD the sound quality was a lot better! Albeit they had other units in the mix as well!

What I am trying to achieve is a HD system for home mixing and recording. The most I will record live would be 16 tracks at home. This setup is more to complete the mix that is recorded anywhere.

Lastly, I know that Protools 10 HD is the highest I can go with this system which is fine for the time being! In regards to PCIe Cards I have a Core Card and 2 Accel cards.
Just getting back to this.

I'm still not sure if you are doing all this for the right reasons.

Pro Tools HD does not sound any better than modern native or HDX systems. There are lots of interfaces that offer as good or better conversion to these, even the latest HD IO box. And HD TDM processing is not state of the art, modern native and HDX 32-bit/64-bit floating point processing is clearly a better environment than the fixed bit processing used in HD TDM. The only reasons that TDM is really superior to native processing is for low-latency tracking, especially though TDM plugins.

If you have studios you are working with that are going to give you sessions from Pro Tools 10HD that use TDM plugins, and especially if you want to round-trip/collaborate with the source of those sessions then maybe it makes more sense. But pay attention to what TDM plugins you may need there.

As for what is included in Pro Tools HD upgrades etc. and what is eligible for upgrades (I would be surprised if Pro Tools 7 is) the best thing to do there is contact Sweetwater or VintageKing sales and ask them.

I'd be thinking this through carefully, HD/TDM may not be the best choice. I'd prefer to avoid old Pro Tools HD and would want to get on current Pro Tools standard, and instead of spending money on Ultimate or HD licenses putting that towards a UAD Apollo X or similar modern interface (OK that one requires a Thunderbolt 3 capable computer).