View Single Post
Old 01-23-2020, 06:57 PM

Default Re: DigiLink I/O thing ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulette Records View Post
Yes, but the truly disgusting part here (and my point to it) is Avid has charged and got over 100k per company that integrates these ports into their interfaces from the company themselves to be able to use the patented ports in their design.

So wouldn't you agree that there was enough ? I mean they still are selling their software to the user, which in the price alone is already enough to make up for that. To me its just a triple slap in the face to us that want to utilize the physical outs on superior conversion.
Disgusting?

It is Avid proprietary port so many could say it was "disgusting" when before the digilink license 3rd party vendors could reverse-engineer the port and make money out of someone else's intellectual property. I think it is just fair it is licensed now.

Don't get confused here. User who pays for software has not paid anything for the hardware yet. Now if user buys hardware from Avid of course they give the user proper license to get it running. Do they have to do it for 3rd party hardware? No.

Would it be distusting for you if the band you mixed took your session to another studio and recorded another album, then just used your mix settings to release their stuff?