View Single Post
Old 11-20-2005, 06:01 AM

Default Over The Edge...

'thought I share this with you: it's an email I send to M-Audio and Digi:

Quote:
<font color="#666666">Dear suppliers of my musicware:

I've been around using your DAW-software from the early days of SoundTools, DECK and Sounddesigner. I'm a business owner that has enough hands-on experience to know how important it is to protect your market share and that (in the end) it all boils down to numbers and tough decisions, taken far away from the day-to-day reality of the end user. Ok, I admit a participated in a DUC-rant or two (about removing the TC-ruler and other features form LE) but never felt frustrated enough to actually send you a letter. Yep, you got it: now is that time.

I recently was pleased to see alternatives for Digidesign-hardware with the M-audio line (Firewire-solo etc.). I won a Digi002r and it's becoming more and more difficult to take it with me when I do projects abroad. Now my dealer tells me that aside from the unit, I should pay an extra $500 or so to obtain the M-Powered version of Protools?! No cross/side-grade, no price-reduction for current PT-owners... just hard cash.

I was already frustrated with the lack of options to work in 5.1 surround and was hoping PTLE 7 would finally open that up... All your competitors offer solutions like that for over a year now, especially M-Audio's Revolution,- and Sonica Theater line of products reveal it's becoming common practice. I still can't figure how Avid would expect me to make the $6000 jump from LE to HD1, just to get this extra feature. Even for a simple routine like the conversion of MP3, OMF or extended TC-features money is the ticket to get there.
But I stayed true and bought a Yamaha 01V96 to be able to do surround panning and still be able to use PT.

Now before my fellow posters will start telling me that if I'm frustrated and I should switch to another DAW, I'd like to tell you I've been a hardcore Protools-advocate for years, helping and setting up systems with the National Radio (NPS and Teleac) here in The Netherlands, giving courses and workshops in collaboration with Digidesign, advising beginners what to buy and where... and I mostly agree that you should buy whatever suits your needs. It's just to let you know that for the very first time I've started working with other systems to broaden my horizon: Digital Performer seems to offer what I need. I just feel I should let you know before I do.

I don't expect any answer in terms of what I already know, unless you have some features or hardware in store that would interest me to make a jump back within the Avid/M-Audio-pool: I would gladly pay a good sum for a "LE 5.1" version...

Kindest regards,

Arno Peeters
Tape TV Productions