View Single Post
Old 08-12-2017, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Installing and Uninstalling El Capitan Causing Installer Problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Where are your audio/session files backed up to and how many times? I would not wipe your audio drive just to do a test OS install on it unless it is backed up in multiple places and you have tested those backups. Don't even squeeze the drive trying to add another test partition, too easy to screw that up. It's best to just go buy another external drive... you should have had several drives anyhow being used for cloning/backup of the boot drive.

You download the full (say Mavericks) installer to your current drive on the system booted running whatever you have on it, and just run it there as an app under your current OS install and when it asks where you want to install to tell it the external drive. You are doing a full install not an upgrade. Easy directions are all over the Web. You also have the (not needed here) option of building a bootable install on say a flash drive. Again instructions all over the Web. Do not do anything that looks like an upgrade, just do a full clean install of the OS X version you want.
Thanks again for coming back to me. Have checked to see if I can get Mavericks 10.9 as further Mavericks upgrades on Apple site won't install without it. Not available anymore through Apple and no 10.9 discs available on Ebay unless I want to chance using copies. Don't think Yosmite is great with Pro Tools 10. 3 either. Royally fooked but my own fault not checking on OSX compatibility here. Will just have to wait now on new iMacs being released at Christmas and purchase one of those. However the one i want is going to cost over two grand plus then having to purchase upgraded interface and Pro Tools 12.