View Single Post
Old 08-12-2018, 04:15 PM

Default Presonus Studio One For Performance

I never thought I'd say it, but I'm actually considering switching to another DAW. Been using PT since 2000 with PTLE 5.1 on PC. Now running PT 2018.7 on both Mac and PC.

Performance has always been a challenge in PT vanilla. I've always been able to get by with high buffers, and monitoring through an external mixer for zero latency, and I always just assumed that this was normal.

I recently purchased a Presonus Quantum 2, which they claim is the world's fastest interface. At first I was impressed. I was able to get it down to 64 samples in Windows, but I eventually found out that random CPU spikes actually made that setting unusable. So I have to run at 128 samples. Too much latency for tracking through plugins. Somehow PT has managed to take the fastet interface in the world, and make it run like any run of the mill USB interface!

On Mac I can reliably run it at 32 samples, but I'm just not comfortable in Mac OS.

Then I tried Studio One 3.5 Artist that came with the Quantum 2. Wow!

I can run reliably at 16 samples, and the CPU never breaks a sweat! Never over 10% ever! PT doesn't even see 16 samples as an option. At 16 samples, latency is a thing of the past.

I'm still pretty uncomfortable with S1, but I'm quickly getting used to it. Unfortunately the Artist version does not allow 3rd party plugins, so I'll have to pony up $300 for the pro version before I can try tracking through Amplitube 4, but I think I might just give it a try.

I'm sure I'll keep using PT if only for mixing. The UI is just so easy to figure out. I mean, if you've ever used a mixer and a tape recorder, you can use PT. No manual needed.
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs