View Single Post
Old 02-08-2007, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Real-Time Bounce to Disk...REAL PAIN

Quote:
For those who regularly work on long-form 2 hour + videos, and need to output multiple scratch tracks of different combinations for use by others (transcriptionists, scorers, dialogue and sound effects editors) then the real time bounce is a major pain. And with the computer processing power that we have today, to say that we can only get quality in real time is crap. I can bounce files all day in other programs, and continue to use the computer while it is doing it. I only work in Protools because I am at a commercial studio and we have to have it for compatibility. But paying an extra $1k for things like a SMPTE timeline that is included for free in other programs really ticks me off, and as soon as I can get away from Digidesign I will. They are shooting themselves in the foot with some of their practices and I am seeing more and more professional studios getting tired of it. We actually have studios in St. Louis now advertising "Pro-Tools Free environment" and they are doing quite well.
YES, BUT NON REAL TIME BOUNCING GIVES YOU THE COMPUTER'S BEST ESTIMATE ON HOW MATERIAL SHOULD SOUND. LIKE I HAVE BEEN SAYING BEFORE, NOT A TRUE TRANSLATION. YES IT WOULD BE GREAT TO HAVE THAT OPTION FOR A QUICK BOUNCE, BUT AGAIN WHY WOULD YOU COMPROMISE YOUR MATERIAL, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE AT A COMMERCIAL STUDIO? WHY WOULD YOU SPEND HOURS MIXING TO ONLY GET 99% OF THE TRUE MIX? I KNOW THAT ALL THE COMERCIAL STUDIOS THAT I WORK AT, WE NEED ERROR FREE SOUNDS, I GUESS IT IS A LITTLE BIT DIFFERENT IN ST. LOUIS.