View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 06:49 PM

Default Re: Sod it buying a Mac now

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
2012 Mac Pro - 12 core version with a SSD for a boot drive.

Or you can buy a 2009/2010 Mac Pro and do the upgrade yourself and save some cash....

Musicman is in the know about this stuff...and there are threads here about it.

When purchasing make sure it comes with the appropriate OS install that PT10 supports

Here is the compatibility chart
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...tibility-Chart
If they ship to the UK I'd get in touch with OWC and get a 5,1 MacPro refurb. Reasonably inexpensive but doesn't have Thunderbolt ports. However there are several options to get around that like add-in USB3 cards. I'm using one now as a replacement for my old iMac system (see my profile page for system specs) until that gets repaired and then I'll have a master/slave arrangement with VEPro6 to drive it all. The cheesegrater is going to be my master machine. That old system (until the video card fried itself) was good for 60+ tracks without breathing hard.

As has been said there are options that can be done by the end user that aren't all that complicated. I'm talking like swapping out a single cpu processor tray for a dual processor unit with a pair of 3.46 GHz hex core cpu's. The system I have has a single 3.46 GHz hex core in it right now. Once I get this all working I'll be putting in a Mercury Accelsior E2 pcie card for my boot drive from OWC - plenty fast for my needs. Not sure if I'm going to go to an ssd for PT to record to or an enterprise class 7200 rpm spinner. All backups will be going to what I use now - 7200 rpm spinners in an external rack via FW800. After all I really don't need extravagant speed for backups.

QAPLA!