View Single Post
Old 10-28-2005, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Mac user want\'s to switch to PC: Got questions...

Quote:
Hi

I make a living as a sound desinger. I work every day on a Mac and want to switch to PC. I've got some questions that nead answering. Your input would be appreciated.

I want to run Pro tools TDM 5.x or 6.x on Windows XP.

1- Is it true that for the same buget, a PC based Pro Tools will be more powerfull?
Steve covered this well. I will add this:
For a similar budget, one could build two PC's, and then route audio from the second to the TDM system so as to place any real-time sound generating tasks off the TDM system. If you wont need to utilize more than a few software synths, and will not get too taxing with RTAS, the single system will be great.
I would choose one of two systems: The ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe based one, or the Tyan based with dual CPU's.

Quote:

2- Is there any draw backs to running Pro Tools on a PC. I mean REAL draw backs. Not "I hate Windows" stuff...
Besides taunting from ignorant people...
If one does not know the Windows OS, there is a learning curve, and adapting to a new file management system. OS9 and earlier users moving to OS-X had a small climb; switching to XP is a much higher curve IMO. Sure, getting going can be very fast for most (some?). It is the little things that get ya. I would say about one year with the OS would have any truly positive user more than adequate at maintaining their own system, with most being able to upgrade, or even build from scratch. Using a proven system with a proven combination of parts with an up to date version of Pro Tools also allows you a nearly 100% chance someone here would be able to aid you with almost any question.
It isnt very difficult, it is just alot of little nooks and crannies that knowing about can help alot. Keep a hardware firewall between you and the outside, dont be stupid when on the 'net, and do regular scans for spyware, and maybe a monthly for virii. Oh- and a utility like Norton Ghost (or similar disk image app) is a must IMO.

Quote:

3- Cost not being an issue, what should I go for? Intel, AMD, Xeon, Athlon, Dual core, Hiper Threading dual HT? All of this is confusing me! I want a no compromise, stable work station and I have no time for dealing with flaky stuff. By the way I will be working with Quick Time videos at the same time, out of the same computer. So the computer will need to be able to run Pro Tools and the movie at the same time...
For Mix systems, no idea.
For HD (Accel), it depends. If same-box processing for everything is what you are after, the dual-core, dual CPU box might serve the non-restricted budget buyer best. If assembling via a parts list, be careful, and consult here first. For instance, power supply alone could devestate an otherwise top-notch system.
Once again, the ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe system with SATA drives is a great, totally stable workhorse system. Assembled with proven parts, it can be coupled with a sweet HD4 Accel system for stable, rleiable TDM/HD use.
Since you are going for video use tho, I would wait for those using video to chime in here. I know there are post using the ASUS based system, but I believe many are also using the dual cpu systems. Video card and such would be more of a concern as well I would guess.

Quote:

4-Do you guys know of a video card that will permit me to output simultaniously to a big minitor (17"), and a TV monitor (the TV showing th Quick Time movie)?
Sorry, no vid work here. I have seen this discussed here in TDM-XP land before tho, so it might just take a little time before those users get around to visiting here. Maybe search "video" in this forum over the past year or two.

Quote:
Thanks Guys!!
No problem! Hope the move works for ya!
If you have further questions, dont hesitate to post away!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.