- Mac Pro Dual-Core Intel Xeon
- 2 processors, 4 cores
- 2x2.66
- 3 GB
- LE 7.1.1cs2
- Original Mbox
- if facing the back of the computer, it is the one on the far right
- 2 internal 250GB each - Serial ATA.
2 external Glyph firewire drives: 250GB connected via firewire 400/rear CPU, and 500 Quad connected via firewire 800/rear CPU.
- NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT is the only PCI card installed for the display. It came w the computer.
- I use the Glyph Quad 500 for use for audio playback/record, and the Glyph 250 for Quicktime playback. I have anywhere from 1-40 tracks, combo of stereo and mono, and typically at 48k. I also have a dozen busses or so. I use my second monitor to play back my quicktime picture on my video track in the session. Ever since I upgraded my computer (from a powerbook G4 without this problem), I encounter the noise problem every time I use the program, at random intervals: could be 30 seconds into playback, could be 9 minutes, there's no telling. I have not noticed any patterns that trigger the problem, but I do know that if I'm recording my mix into tracks in the session, and the noise happens, it doesn't get onto the recorded tracks, it's just in the monitors. Also, I can toggle the sync from internal to spdif and back to stop the noise without having to quit the program. It seems to only happens when playing back, not during pause. I have followed all the steps in the troubleshooting guide, except for disabling processor NAP. I have removed all plugins, reinstalled protools, made a new user, and still have the problem. I have contacted waves, ilok, IK multimedia, properllorheads, and all the other third party companies I use to confirm I have the proper versions installed, and I do. I have done everything recommended, except for install a pci usb card. I plan to borrow another mbox to see if the problem occurs with it as well.

Yesterday, I tried using a borrowed MBox and cable, and experienced the identical problem. I also tried using the other USB port on the back of the computer, which didn't fix the problem. Just for 'fun', I tried using my USB connector or my apple cinema display and also a USB hub: these options didn't cause the white noise, but caused lots of clicking - as if the sync was not clocking right.