View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 07:30 AM

Default Re: Perhaps this time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
I'll get an answer. I've asked the question numerous times to no avail. Even organizations such as ASCAP, BMI and the Harry Fox agency when asked, will direct you to page after page of legal mumbo jumbo that only serves to further confuse! With all the hoopla over SOPA and PIPA I thought that perhaps, if I asked my question again, here on the DUC I just might get an answer. The question. Is it illegal by current law, to record or perform a song that was previously composed, copyrighted and/or recorded by someone other than oneself if the person covering said piece has no intent to distribute or sell it for financial gain? Plain and simple. Yes or no! Please no opinions. Thanks.
It's not a plain and simple, yes or no question.

There's no reason why you couldn't record a cover of someone else's song for personal purposes, and listen to it on your ipod with your friends and family. It comes down to performance rights and public use. Different songs also have different copyrights for their use. At the end of the day, it's really up to the original artist.

If you're playing in a bar, or your recording it to give to your firends... you're probably ok. If you're performing in front of thousands of people, or plan on distributing your recording, (aka, getting paid) that's a different story.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515