View Single Post
Old 01-19-2020, 07:06 AM

Default Re: Track Folders Are Here .. !

Quote:
Originally Posted by home_studio View Post
We (I) need clip folders.
It's so essential for post.
Not having had a way to organise the clip list for decades (after leaving AudioVision) I must say I can't image how simple "folders" in the clip list would help us in post. Are we then going to manually sort the trillions of auto-created regions by categories? Or maintain those folders inside PT? Are we really?
Unless AVID integrates something as powerful as soundminer into PT I have little hope for this. To be honest I haven't looked into the clip list in years other than to select and get rid of unwanted offline files and other low level maintenance work.
I've found "peace" (actually resignation would be the better word) with PT not having a way to structure the work other than piling up tracks and more tracks. Heck, even our markers are dummy groups on tracks!

So folder tracks will help a lot. Probably more than folders in the clip list..

Unless they come up with something more clever like bins and sequences inside bins and a way to organise an entire project (like in MediaComposer) and not just have this the session-is-the-project system I couldn't be less interested in folders in the clip list.

I think even if they introduced folders in the clip list tomorrow I wouldn't know what to do with them unless you can search inside single ones or a combo of them or have them contain groups of more complex sequences or edit a clip before it lands on a track.

I see PT as an advanced tape machine with a virtual mixing console. Yes it's a non-linear DAW but it's probably the most linear of them all. At least from post-production person's perspective.

For me the only way to work in PT is: If it's not on tracks, it basically doesn't exist. Everything else is down to structuring your data on finder level and bins in soundminer.

Not saying that this is a good thing but I don't know how folders in the clip list would change that. Do people actually use the catalogues in PT? I don't know a single sound editor in post who does but maybe they exist.

Honest question: what are you all (people in post) actually going to do with those folders in the clip list? If they are so essential how could we all come this far without them? And would they really make a big difference?

Frank.

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 01-19-2020 at 07:26 AM.