View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 05:33 AM

Default Re: Undipped music stem

Yes it gets worse and worse (see my last paragraph). Today I generate deliverables for 4 hour-long episodes for PBS, that we finished yesterday.
Each hour has a bunch of pop songs that are used for initial broadcast. Each hour is also remixed with library cuts and "upside down" versions of all pop songs, for home video and international use.

For each of the eight hours I output:
5.1 full mix (which will NOT be broadcast or screened! for home video I guess)
LtRt (stereo) full mix
Mono fullmix
LtRt DME mix undipped for narration
Mono "VO" stem (narration and talk-over not directly connected to on-camera. This is not typical, requires rebussing)
Mono "Dialog", (includes whatever is left over from above and other sync dialog) undipped for "VO"
Stereo sfx stem undipped for all
Stereo Music stem undipped for all
Mono Narration+Dialog (for promo department)
Mono Music+Effects undipped (for promo department)

At least they aren't demanding fully filled mixes, not yet anyway, and no one has asked for 5.1 international stems (only stereo). The promo department mixes are not spec'd anywhere in writing (at least not to me) but were demanded by the sponsor station after I delivered the first set of broadcast mixes.

The post-audio budget is smaller (per minute) than previous work for the same client. There are three times more producers now than on those previous projects. Why do you suppose there is no money for more deliverables?