View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 11:55 AM

Default Re: Can I convert s/pdif to BNC word clock?

Quote:
If I wanted an external WC I wouldn't be spending the $ on this mod. And since the 002 has no dedicated WC i/o, using an external clock your still sending it to the 002 via s/pdif or ADAT. The system is only going to sound "better" if the external clock is better. Dan Lavry has explained that just by running the additional length of cable needed for external clocking you are introducing latency into the equation.

Thanks for the idea on the cable, my friend has an adapter so I'm going to give it a try. Not expecting it to work, but who knows?
If your cable lengths are under 6ft there is practically little to no latency (it is usually recommended to limit runs under 15 ft for WC use)...also if you are using an external clock as the master latency shouldn't be a factor...if it was...why would major studios buy the things? I personally haven't encounterd ANY latency issues while using the DM-24 or an external clock as the master.

Maybe I'm slow but I don't see the problem you are having...it is common knowledge WC can be sent via SPDIF but as I mentioned in another post, I personally wouldn't spend that kind of cash on a mod just to change the clock in the 002 because there are better options (at the same or less cost) and I personally would never use the 002 as an external master clock source.

Question: Why are you doing a mod and plan to use the Octopre (which is very much inferior pre to the mod from my understanding)...??

As a test I wound up going to the link and bought a 3 ft BNC to SPDIF cable to use with my GENX192 and the 002R....maybe it might make a difference.

- KB