View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 06:55 PM

Default Re: need drive help with os 9.2.2 and pt 5.1.3

I cant remember the exact number, but os9 cant handle drives that big if i remember right. Something like a 138gb max size was what you could format. I always had my drives formatted into smaller partitions back in the day. The limitation might have been related to older g4 motherboards too, it's been a long time so I don't remember why, but I do know that all of my bigger drives were split into 120gb partitions with my sawtooth g4s. Now that i think of it, the mdds i ran did have bigger drives in them, obviously if you were able to fill up to 800gb on these the quicksilver probably isnt as limited as the sawtooth was.

EDIT: glad i re-read this... Just noticed a bigger issue... You're using fw800 to fw400 cables to go from the quicksilver to the fw800 drive? I think that's a problem. You arent ever supposed to step up to fw800 from fw400, the fw400 device should always be the last thing in you fw chain. The quicksilvers fw400 port was designed before fw800 existed, so it's very possible it's not entirely compatible. Does the drive have a fw400 port on it? I'd try using a 6pin to 6pin firewire cable, there is not any benefit to using the fw800 adaptor cable when you're starting with fw400 speec at the computer. Also, does the drive have the oxford firewire chipset? The oxford 911 was what was officially supported back then.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?