View Single Post
Old 01-10-2020, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2020.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by off the wall View Post
I have been doing Macintosh consulting since 1986. This has always been the case. If a new piece of hardware is released after the release of a major OS, that new hardware can not run an older OS that came out before it's release.
I remember temporarily moving boot drives from the new computer into an older machine in order to install the previous iteration of the OS, then the drive was placed back into the new machine. That was the most drastic workaround, but by the end we were up and running. Most of these instances were in the 90's or early 00's, when Apple was less restricting (or, rather, workarounds were more prevalent if you were creative). I do find it hard to believe that we lucked into a successful scenario each time, but it's not worth dissecting since it was over a decade ago and the answer about the new MBP is definitive.

I actually support Apple's hardware restrictions and control (to a degree), and it is, after all, a large part of what makes their closed-universe more stable. And it's only an issue every few years.