Thread: Perpetual limbo
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2017, 09:00 AM

Default Perpetual limbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicmosaic View Post
Thanks Jimmy. I was not aware of that option. I just submitted something. The way I look at this, I paid the money for the annual plan. I didn't use it, but the money was taken. My next year would be starting shortly, and I am more than happy to pay for that renewal. I am now more cognizant of this idiosyncrasy in licensing, and I will be vigilant about staying in the good graces of Avid. Like so many others, I have a big history (and investment) in PT. I rarely use it, but it works for me. I don't want to try something new because of this.

It's the license that's perpetual, not the upgrade entitlement - you need to activate the license with unbroken continuity from version to version, annual plan to annual plan.

If it were the upgrade entitlement that was perpetual, you could have bought it when PT12 came along, and just wait until a version of PT was released that you felt had all the features, and stability you craved - perhaps PT18 - and then you'd have a year of support and upgrade from that point of activation.

Everyone would just do that, which isn't really fair on Avid, and completely defeats the point of the annual upgrade / support plan.

Hopefully Avid will work with you on some sort of compromise, whether they can give you last years iLok license - meaning you can install up to PT12.7.1.

Or perhaps charge you another $99 and extended your original plan by a year, giving you access to PT12.8 and beyond, until the next renewal.

You may get lucky, and just get a new activation, Avid don't actually go out of their way to be evil.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk