View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 06:14 PM

Default Re: "Tab to transients" question

Essentially, there's a redundancy and inefficiency here. There's really no need for a latching "tab to transients" (TTT) switch at all. Possible solutions for Avid to consider:

1) Arrow up/down keys move insertion to next/previous clip boundaries. This sort of happens already in a limited sense: given a selection, up moves insertion to selection end, down moves it to selection start. They could just extend that. This would keep the muscle memory folks happy, unless I'm missing some other function or complication with having up/down keys do this. (Personally, I'd rather have right/left arrow keys do this, and have up/down arrow keys "center on selection start/end," but whatever.)

2) Tab and L/' are always opposite. So with TTT on, L/' goes to clip boundaries. With it off, L/' goes to transients. For the muscle memory folks, this would be a disturbance, but at least give you the option of setting it to the mode you use most. Once set to your preference, you never have to toggle TTT again. However, options are more a Reaper thing than Avid, which leaves us with...

3) Do away with the TTT switch altogether. Make tab always to transients, L/' always to clip boundaries, or vice versa. I'd say L/' always to transients, since shortcuts like ^tab and ^shift-tab work on whole clips and boundaries even with TTT on. Though I could see how the muscle memory folks would disagree.