View Single Post
Old 05-27-2019, 03:07 PM

Default Recording Level and UAD Monitoring

I am using the latest version of Pro Tools to record a bunch of Reel to Reels. I am inputting the Reel to Reel output into a Universal Audio 8P AD/DA converter and using the UAD Console software. I am using a Unison Solid State Logic SSL 4000 E Channel strip and an EQ and Delay and have the Low Latency and Delay Compensation checked in protools.

This lets the monitoring go through the UAD Console and boy does it sound amazing. I have 2 questions.

First has to do with the Stereo Channel levels. They are not equal. I cant seem to figure out a way to balance them while recording. Should I just record them as they are off of the Reel to Reel (a bit out of balance) I am speaking about the recording levels - They are not the same. Should I just record them this way and not worry about it during the recording phase. I guess I could make them even later after recording when I go to bounce the tracks using a plugin.

My second questions is a bit more complicated.

I have some hardware Compressors and EQ devices connected and in Protools I followed the instructions about moving the I/O for the first 4 channels over and setting what goes out on 3 for example comes back on 3 and what goes out on 4 comes back on 4. (Hardware Insert Directions)

This works fine and the hardware units can now be inserted as an I/O plugin. The challenge is if I do the monitoring through the UAD Console and check the two settings Low Latency and Delay Compensation in Protools, I can of course hear all of the UAD plugins in the console as you would expect but what if I want to add some other plugins that are not UAD in protools? With the Low Latency and Delay Compensation checked I can only hear what is inserted in the UAD Console and these are of course only UAD plugins.

If I uncheck these options, I can then hear both the Protools Plugins and the UAD plugins but I thought the whole idea of using UAD Console was to eliminate all latency.

Perhaps I am being too clinical and this is how its supposed to work but with the Protools options checked and taking advantage of the zero latency of UAD I can either use the zero latency monitoring in UAD but then have to use only UAD plugins or I can uncheck these options and montior both but not at zero latency.

If I uncheck these options in Protools I can then hear both but have latency. Small and manageable but I am just trying to figure out if this is how its supposed to work.

Seems to be either zero latency using UAD monitoring but only UAD plugins or both Protools and UAD plugins with Monitoring in Protools and some Latency.

Is this just how its supposed to work?

Thanks
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 Ti
Samsung 960 PRO Series - 512GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6P512BW)
32GB G.Skill DDR4 TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz PC4-25600 CL16 1.35V Quad Channel Kit
ASUS Expansion Card for Z170 & X99 Motherboards ThunderboltEX 3
Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter
Focusrite Clarett 4 Pre and UAD Apollo 8 QUAD
Pure 2 Mastering AD/DA Converter & Clock
UAD-2 Satellite USB QUAD