View Single Post
Old 10-05-2007, 02:17 PM

Default Is there a delay/latency reference chart for LE ?

FIRST A QUESTION:

Is there an official delay/latency chart that I can print out for quick reference ?

I couldn't find one by searching the pdf manual for PT 6.4 (somehow I still have that on my comp and not the one for 7.3.... weird)

AND THEN MORE QUESTIONS AND STUFF:

I was testing the send/aux delays and I got a peculiar result...

1.) Audio Source being recorded to another track through a bus with a 44.1 kHz sample rate *

Source:Audio Track 1 w/ output: bus 1 ---->
Record Destination: Audio track w/ input bus 1

time difference between original source and the newly recorded:
1024 samples w/ buffer size of 1024 samples
256 samples w/ buffer size of 512
128 samples w/ buffer size of 256
64 samples w/ buffer size of 128

--------------
*to add to the confusion, I later found out that there's actually no delay when doing the above experiment... how ever, and this is where it gets weird for me at least, is that the above results were due to me having an aux track with the same bus input as the destination track (I had the aux track set up for test # 2. (below))
--------------

2.) Audio source being sent through an aux and then recorded on another audio track with a sample rate of 44.1 kHz

Source: Audio Track 1 w/ output: bus 1 --->
Aux Track w/ input: bus 1 and output: bus 2
Record Destination: Audio track w/ input: bus 2

time difference between original source and the newly recorded:
2048 samples w/ buffer size of 1024
512 samples w/ buffer size of 512
256 samples w/ buffer size of 256
128 samples w/ buffer size of 128

why is the buffer size of 1024 samples special? there's a clear trend going up from a buffer of 128 samples to 512 samples, but the trend is broken once you get to buffer of 1024 samples...

Do these results look right?

Also, is the send delay in HD systems always 10 samples, not depending on buffer size, as they suggest here:
http://www.songphonic.com/ProToolsTutorials
[EDIT: the place i'm referring to is under "2. Pro Tools :: Printing and Freezing Audio Tracks" #3 of the update: "# Enter this value (228) + 10 (for send delay) = 238 in the '+/-' field as a NEGATIVE number - ie -238. "]

---------------------------------------

I also found this:
(Latencies chart for analog inserts in LE w/ 002's)
http://www.elvenminstrel.com/recordi...tencychart.htm
and
http://www.elvenminstrel.com/recordi...auxlatency.htm

does it look right? I mean I just tested this as well and I get totally different results

Mine are
3166 (+- 2 samples) samples @ buffer size of 1024 samples and 44.1 kHz
1631 (+- 2 samples) samples @ buffer size of 512 samples and 44.1 kHz
864 (+- 2 samples) samples @ buffer size of 256 samples and 44.1 kHz

what's going on?

It also appears that I get the same results with 48 kHz

what am I doing wrong? or is the guy who posted that chart wrong? or is my system messed up? someone enlighten me, please

also, to hopefully clear things up a bit here's how I conducted this insert delay test:

-two audio tracks with the same snare hit on both, in the same exact place
-on one of them I added an insert (through an outboard device, but I also tested with just a cable going from the analog out 6 to analog in 6 )
-output of the source w/ the insert - bus1, output of the source track w/o an insert -bus2
-made two new "destination" tracks, one with bus 1 as input and one with bus 2 as input...
-recorded on to both destination tracks, measured the time differences between the two recorded tracks.

I must be missing something here..

Thanks...

oh yeah I'm running PT LE 7.3.1 with 002 Rack and a Mac G5