View Single Post
Old 01-10-2020, 05:13 AM

Default Re: Arturia servers down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
As I wrote elsewheres here when I did my recent reinstatement (last year) to PT 2019.6 I went direct to the Avid site and I got billed for tax payable to the state of New Jersey (US) where I live. Someone here from California also got billed for tax on downloadable s/w.

At $49US I couldn't pass up Pigments 2. Granted it takes a bit of learning especially the way one assigns modulations but it's worth it.
I haven’t gotten into sound designing with it much myself. But that’s normal, I never seem to have time. I tend to modify whatever I find in the library that doesn’t quite fit what I need. It’s still sound design I guess, and I could do stuff from the ground up if I really wanted to, but i wouldn’t call myself a sound designer. Not for synths anyway.

I do love it’s scope though. On Logic I have Alchemy as well, that has lots of scope too, however, it’s accessible to just about everyone using Logic. So if you need to express a bit of individuality I find it’s better to have other choices that you can use in combination.

Unique sounds aren’t everything, though, familiarity is also an important key. Think about it, distorted guitars and slamming drums are essential to rock and metal, just as the 808 is essential to hip-hop. You can play outside familiar sonic territories a bit, it helps give you a more unique, identifiable sound. Explore too far though, and it becomes a different style altogether. I believe the key to a good, commercially viable sound is striking a good balance.

Not that anyone asked...