View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 09:51 AM

Default Re: Average Audio Peaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundthinker View Post
Actually, -17dBFS for peaks with a -24LKFS seems low to me. I haven't seen a spec with peak limits below -10dBFS.
Soundthinker, the issue was 'average peaks' and what is meant by the definition, not instantaneous peaks. If it was instantaneous peaks, then yes -17 is way too low..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
I have seen this type of spec before, but it's been a couple of years now. In my case, "Average peaks" really meant the upper most swings of a "VU meter", or "NBC meter", which is based on RMS measurements. (BTW, LKFS is also an RMS-based measurement.) If that's the case, you've got some room for dynamics by keeping the RMS meter reading at that and below.
Postman, I'm with you. It could mean one of the two situations..If it does mean that average peaks at -10dbfs translate to the upper most swings of the VU meter (RMS), then wouldn't it be difficult to manage -24LKFS for all material? (if it actually does in theory hit -10dbfs)

These 'average peaks' would have to be instantaneous as well in regards to RMS, or the overall LKFS would reading would shoot up way past -24LKFS.

Here's another look at the spec:
'all material to have a measured loudness of -24LKFS averaged over the entire commercial. instantaneous audio peaks not exceeding -6dBFS with average peaks not exceeding -10dBFS'

On top of that, these are the specs for commercials on this network. Maintaining -24LKFS on commercials is also a debated topic. On the other extreme, some people may even take these specs to mean that it's all fair game as long as the RMS doesn't go above -10dbfs and peaks are maxed at -6dbfs.

Thoughts?