View Single Post
Old 08-23-2020, 08:43 AM

Default Revert back to 003?

I recently added a few synths to my setup and I have a question about signal conversion and interfaces, which may have an impact on the DAW and interface I use....

This is my setup:
- I have an Apollo Twin Duo Thunderbolt (only a stereo balanced +ADAT optical)
- I also own a Digi003 console (but this has been superseded by the Apollo)
- I’ve switched from ProTools 12 to Ableton Live as my main DAW
- I have a MacBook Pro 2012, i7, 2.6, RAM maxed out; I believe this is the last config that works with the digi003 because of the fw connection
- I have the need for the following instruments (needs for inputs):
1) Kemper (via S/PDIF digital)
2) Yamaha EX5 (AES/AEB digital)
3) Yamaha Motif ES7 (stereo balanced TRS)
4) Roland JV-1080 (stereo balanced TRS)
5&6) Mic for vocals / guitars (2 mic inputs)

My assumptions are (please could someone confirm?)
- I assume that keeping the digital signal is better than converting to analog and back to digital, therefore ideally I find an interface with AES/AEB input or 2 optical ins. I can convert the AES/AEB to optical (toslink or S/PDIF)
- While mic pres vary widely in quality and sonic color, digital signal transfer is the same regardless of the interface quality (e.g., Behringer, Avid, Apollo digital inputs are the same)

Questions:
- the Yamaha EX5 distorts at a certain volume level (signal seems to be saturated), which is why I am trying to use the AES/AEB digital output. Am I right by thinking this will be better as there will be no “analog distortion”?
- Am I better off just reverting back to the Digi003, which has all the necessary inputs but it’s older technology? (I would have to sacrifice the UA plugins)
- What else should I consider?