View Single Post
Old 04-18-2019, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Upgrading a Mac Pro 5.1 12core 2.4Ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Heat isn't an issue in a desktop. Sure a faster cpu will run a bit hotter but not enough to matter. I have a single 3.46GHz hex core cpu in my 2012 cheesegrater and it's been aces. A dual cpu version at that speed would be killer.

For ram using only 3 slots instead of 4 is definitely the way to go. Being you have a dual cpu unit and if you want to max performance I'd go with 3 ram slots filled in each side. 3 slots at 16 gig ram gives 48 gig and do the same on the other side for a total of 96 gig ram. You can never have too much ram. You really want to have all ram the same size/specs. Skip the 8 gig sticks.

You only lose the boot screen if the card isn't flashed. To be honest swapping out the video card should be the last thing you do. Get your cpu setup finalized and working along with the ram and THEN see if you really need a different video card. Having a faster/more hefty card won't really help cpu power any. It might make PT run a bit better but that gain is not coming from the cpu doing any less work - it's all on the gpu.

Your system ssd - is that on a pcie card or in a drive bay? If the latter pop that baby on a pcie card- better performance.

Thank you for the reply. So yes I have a SSD (Samsung 1TH evo 850) in a drive bay. I was thing of getting a OWC Accelsior S: PCIe to 2.5" 6Gb/s SATA SSD Host Adapter. How much would that help in real world usage on working in a large 5.1 mix session?

it's only $50 for the adapter to double my read/write speeds from 250's to 500

The other option is to get a Samsung 970 EVO Plus Series - 1TB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD which the speeds are around 3,000

Any opinions on this route?

Thanks again
-HD Omni
-BM Intensity Pro

-Waves Mercury+SSL4000 Collection+Abbey Roads
-iZotope RX10 Advanced
-iZotope Post Production Suite 6
-iZotope Music Production Suite 5
-HALO UP/DOWN MIX
-ANYMIX
-Delonghi Perfecta ESAM 5600.S