View Single Post
Old 07-09-2002, 11:51 AM

Default Re: 2" Transfer into 192--the original timeless classic. Accept no imitations...

Quote:
Originally posted by bombfactory:
Originally posted by loudist:

> Hey Boneheads....
> Tone tests don't mean that much to what
> it actually sounds like...

I agree. That's why I posted the following on MARCH 25th. Nobody followed up on this one, either.

--------

Posted: 25 Mar 2002 01:15

As part of doing our digital models at 96kHz and 192kHz, we ran noise through the interfaces at all sample rates. They measure flat.

Also as part of testing, we recorded noise to our Studer A800 and 3M machines. We did this both "straight to tape" as well as through the bus amps and group output transformers on our Trident A Range.

Transformer and recorder effects were immediately evident in frequency and phase plots, as you'd expect.

We dumped the tape into Pro Tools at 48, 96 and 192kHz for further analysis. We also recorded the noise straight into Pro Tools as well. Standard test procedures.

Analyzing the wave files, as well as analyzing the data in the analog domain post Pro Tools D/A, we saw no significant drop off as part of the transfer (in or out).

Also for obvious reasons: both 2" machines lost way, way more low end from the analog noise source than the digital recording.

But none of this affects Mixerman's claims. "Sound flat" and "measure flat" are totally different, of course.

My point with Mixerman is that I want to start getting down to business here. I can attest that my Digi 96 and 192 interfaces are not down 6dB at 60Hz. However, due to lack of data, I cannot speak for his rig or setup.

--Erik
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Bombfactory,

If you still have these files, it would be an interesting experiment to set up a calibrated mic in front of a good sounding full range speaker. Run the same noise generator at the same level through a channel to the mix buss and monitor, while generating a plot from the mic... this would be the control plot. Then using the same channel and level, play the output of the individual files and plot the mic results. It would be interesting to see if there are differing results testing the actual reproduced audio energy.