View Single Post
Old 12-11-2002, 03:13 AM

Default Re: I see the light!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by DrTone:
scuse me to chime in, but I have to respectfully disagree. Listen to almost any Beatles track and you'll hear a LOT of eq'ing on vitually everything. These are not awfully natural sounding recordings but they rock.

Ofcourse you can worsen a mix by overusing plugs etc., but that does not imply a minimalism in using EQ's or any plug, but rather an "optimalism". Some tracks simply need it, mostly for creative sound-shaping, and some others blend naturally very well. So I would only agree to the advice: Think a moment before you instantiate a plug-in, but if you are confident that you want to cut the bottom (or anything else for that matter), go for it!

Dan
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">EQ's cool and very neccessary. I think we're all talking about all these pseudo analog plugins that give you "warmth" etc.. I think there all bollocks nowadays. If the eq is clean (i.e. mcdsp, even digi's ones!) then it cool. However I still think its better to get it right before u track because there more chance to mess it up with radical eq in tools.

And to the guy who dissed Ricky Martins CD. As I said before, a hit "song" dictates how the sound (production) of a records is recieved. If there are 5 cd's with hit songs that sound like rickys then all the record companies will want mixes that sound like that. Hip hop sound isnt technically correct but the records are hot so everyones got to sound like that to get paid. Its the way of the world, you've got deal with it. More and more mixes are being done in the box, just as more and more videos are edited in final cut pro. its cheaper and more cost effective ..

Either get on the train or get left at the station .......