View Single Post
Old 05-22-2005, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Playback and Record Volume messages - read thi

The solution is to boot your new mac from an external firewire drive, on which you can havepanther OS installed.Then you can clone your external drive to the internal one. You can use Carbon copy cloner for that, and it works.

Unquote.

This can not be done - I have tried but either the firmware or the hardware will not allow booting from Panther.

I specifiaclly went out today and bought a copy of Panther to do just this. I tried to load Panther onto an external firewire HD and there is no option to do this. So then I loaded Tiger onto the external HD and rebooted. This then allowed me to reformat the internal HD so there was no Operating system on it in any shape or form.
Then I disconnected the External HD - put in the Panter installation disk 1 and it tells me to reboot. When you do the MAC crashes with a "Panic" message and hangs the system.

I do blame both Apple and Digidesign. I have spent £4k ($7.6K)on a system that I was told would work seamlessly and was the industry standard. Instead I have a pile of junk that is less use than a chocolate fireguard.

I can accept that things will get better but can you compensate me for the demo CD I am supposed to record in 2 weeks. Will Appple or Digidesign compensate me for the loss of income?
Have Digidesign ever given any more specific information about the patch for Tiger other than 8 - 10 weeks?

My final solution is to return to the system that I previosly considered which is a PC running Cubase SX connected to a MOTU. Maybe not industry standard but at least it works. Unfortunately the band I have signed up ready to go need the recording in Pro Tools so I cannot use that for this band but let other potential purchasers be aware that there are plausiable options to a chocolate fireguard.