View Single Post
Old 01-16-2010, 06:39 AM

Default Magma Power Supply Failure Signs

Back in November of 2009, I started having my HD 192 start to go offline and lose digital clock connection from my core card and 2 accel cards that are in my Magma chassis. Mine is the older 32bit 33mhz PCI/PCIX chassis which is about 7 years old. However, when this kept happening, mostly when it was sitting idle or overnight, I would just shutdown and restart and I would be ok. Then it got to the point that it was doing this every 2-3 hours. I ran Digitest and all my cards checked out fine. I then checked my APC UPS device and noticed that the led's that showed the load had no led's lit. This meant that something was internally wrong with the UPS or I had power supply issues with my 192 and or my Magma Chassis which both were plugged into. After talking to Magma and Digi, I replaced the 320 watt, "cheapo" power supply with a slightly better 500 watt one from Best Buy and my offline/clocking issues have ceased and my entire system is more robust. Just thought I would share that with those who may be having 192 clocking and offline issues.
http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/a.../StudioRig.jpg
Mac Pro Early 2009 3.06 Six Core 48gb ram, Pro Tools 10.3.10, HD6 Accel, Pro Tools 2021, Macbook Pro, Magma PE6R4i, Yamaha DM2000 Console, Logic 9 and 10, Apogee Big Ben, 10pcs HD 192's, Benchmark DAC-1, Distressors, API, Neve, Rupert Neve, Dangerous, Lynx, Manley ELOP+, Massive Passive, VariMu, Neumann, Peluso, A-Designs Hammer 2 & Nail, Empirical Labs, Drawmer, Lexicon U87, Bricasti M7, dbx, Cranesong, SSL 500 G-Bus, Custom Audio Germany, Dynaudio, Focal, Yamaha, TC Electronic, Mapex Drums, SPL