View Single Post
Old 01-25-2015, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Yes to cloud collaboration!

Who would have thought that could happen? Me, for one. I have never understood the fascination with "the cloud". In addition to the grave security concerns that you mentioned, the dependence on an internet connection is also disconcerting. It's a significant risk to make your company dependent on an internet provider. And there is, not just the internet connection itself, but how fast it is. I was in IT for 25 years. People jump on the latest buzzword technology, often without thinking of the long-term ramifications.

As an aside, many of the same concerns should be applied to offshore development. Do you really want your most precious business knowledge residing on servers on the other side of the world? Very short-sighted IMO.

I'll get off my soapbox now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
The security concern is legitimate. I was working for a company about a year and a half ago (not large, but 5 times the market cap of Avid) that used cloud based servers. In short, the company we were renting server space from had an employee that had a "bad day" and intentionally deleted nearly all of our files in less than an hour before he was discovered. Who would have ever thought something like that could happen? This wasn't hacking from the outside.

I won't go into the details of how we recovered over the next 4 days but it was very, very difficult. (Think about accounts receivable when you do 1800 transactions per day electronically.)

Point is, while my situation wasn't exactly the same, security of something you don't personally manage can be a real concern.

Greg