View Single Post
Old 01-05-2016, 04:26 PM

Default Licensing and Version Compatibility Questions

I know this topic straddles several forum categories, so I figured this might be the best place to post, as they're pre-purchase questions, and I'm new to the forums.

To give a little background on me, I'm an audio student in Chicago. I want to purchase a subscription to Pro Tools in order to work on school projects from home, and so I won't be tied down to the school workstations in the event that they're being used, or otherwise unavailable. Before I decide to buy the subscription, I have a couple of quick questions.

My first question is in regards to licensing. I'm aware that, in addition to the purchase of the software itself, you need to purchase an iLok key to authorize Pro Tools on different computers. One thing I'm not clear about is whether this is platform specific. I have a PC as my desktop, and a Macbook as my laptop. If I authorized Pro Tools on my PC, would I run into any trouble trying to carry that authorization to my laptop, based on the fact that they're running different operating systems, and therefor different versions of Pro Tools? Apologies if the answer feels extremely obvious, but I haven't found any specifics about this on the Avid website.

My second question is about version compatibility. The workstations at my school are currently running Pro Tools 10, and the subscription options for students are for Pro Tools 12. Are there any major feature differences that would cause compatibility issues when carrying a project between the two versions?

Thanks,
Chris