View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Level out Volume consistent without compression??

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
Wow, whatever happened to mixing with faders?
Nothing happened. With the correct gear, its perfectly fine. But, for those mixing in the box, without some physical fader control, its tough to do in real-time. Sure you can automate the volume, but this happens after all the plugins. By using clip gain, or Vocal Rider, you level things out before they hit the plugins. Doing that drives compressor inserts more evenly, which gives a more consistent sound(valuable for any compressor, but even more-so with "character" compressors like an LA-2A or SMACK!).

A compressor works fine for modest level control, but if the singer has too much dynamic range(like most modern singers that never learned any mic technique), then a compressor is simply not going to wrangle that much volume difference. I can tell by the 3rd pass(at most) if the singer is going to need a lot of editing, so rather than A-beat them up over it, or B-work them till they are burned out, I get the best they are capable of, and fix it(sadly, damage control is a lot of what many of us get paid for these days).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave